Stories open doors!
Sheryl lets students in on where her ideas comes from while encouraging them to open the door to their own imaginations. She shares the fact behind the fiction in her work, and enlightens students on the writing process. Stories, games, and eye-opening writing exercises are all a part of her program.
Sessions last from 45-60 minutes, depending on the age of students; up to 75 students. Fees: available upon request.
Writing Workshops and Conferences
Keynote addresses and hands on workshops are available for students, teachers and other groups interested in children's literature related topics. (Fees Upon Request).
What Kids are saying...
"How you get ideas for your books is cool."
— Eli grade 3, Toronto, Ont.
"Thank you for telling me about how you write your stories. I am going to write books too."
— Douglas, grade 4, Vancouver, B.C.
What Educators are saying...
— Anne Letain, teacher-librarian Taber Alberta
"We know you've made a lasting impression."
— Cowichan Valley School District Young Author's Conference, BC
"..Your words and passion touched so many people that we would like you to speak for us again..."
— Joan Cunningham, International Reading Association Conference Organiser, Edmonton, Alberta
"Absolutely fantastic--Creative strategies to inspire students."
— Chair of Weaving Words VIII: Extending Literature Through the Fine Arts
Getting In Touch
Kids, remember to ask your teacher or parents first, before contacting Sheryl.
You can contact Sheryl by e-mail or post.
- B.C. Library Association Conference, 'Censorship in Children's Books'
- International Reading Association Conference, 'In Hot Pursuit of Literacy'
- Kamloops Art Gallery Canadian, Authors Lecture Series
- Sechelt Festival of the Written Arts
- International Reading Association Program, 'Reaching All the Children'
- Calgary Teacher's Conference, 'Writing Strategies for Classrooms' & 'Literature Across Curriculum'
- Peter Gzowski Northern Invitational Golf Tournament, 'Reading for Life'
- Canadian Library Association Conference, 'West Coast Style'
- International Reading Association Family Literacy Conference, 'Reading to Grow On'
- BCTLA Conference, 'Picture This: Using Picture Books Beyond Primary Grades'
- Young Author Conferences & School Tours
- Canada Council & Writer's in Libraries Tours
- Children's Book Week Tour
- Canada Save the Children Tour
- School District Tours
- IODE National Book Award (text)
- Governor General's Literary Award (illustration)
- Canadian National Library, Notable Fiction
- Canadian Children's Book Centre Outstanding Book Choice (four times)
- Canadian Children's Book Centre Recommended Book (twice)
- Recommended by CBC Radio's Morningside Children's Book Panel (twice)
- Short-listed for the Mr. Christie Book Award
- Short-listed for the Sheila Egoff Children's Literature Award
- Short-listed for the Chocolate Lily Award (twice)
- Short-listed for the Blue Spruce Award
Skip Navigation :: YA Novels :: Picture Books :: Order My Books :: From My Stories :: My Blogs ::
:: Author Visits :: About Sheryl :: Contact Sheryl :: My Photos ::
:: Kid's Corner :: Teacher's Tools :: Media Resources
Updated: January 14, 2011